Thursday, December 9, 2010

Diaries of a Ghanaian Saudi Princess- Part II



December 5th 2010

“Soul Searching Saudi Princess”

On the day of the conference, all my attention was geared towards acquiring interviews. I had done my research and knew who I wanted to talk to but that came with its difficulties as it always does. Upon arrival at the conference I immediately got to work. There were special seating areas for the women where they were separated from the men and were not allowed to sit anywhere else. So, I proceeded to sit with my female counterparts. Stature was irrelevant, it didn’t matter if you were a minister or a student we were all segregated to a section of the conference room. There was also a special lounging area for us where we could go for coffee and tea! However, I actually forgot about that room and joined the men during coffee break! No one stopped me so that was fine.

Meeting with the women who were completely covered, felt strange. I wanted to get to know them but the manner in which they carried themselves made it difficult and near impossible to engage in conversation. The vibe they gave was of a quiet person who does not voice out their thoughts and simply wants to be left alone. The fact that they covered up made it impossible to read body language as to try to determine the potential characteristics they have. A lot can be said about a person from their appearance but the only visible part were the eyes which I must say were beautiful. All I had to go on, were the eyes. The ladies were very friendly and answered all the questions we (the foreign ladies) had about them that made me want to interview them later to find out more details about living in Saudi Arabia as a woman.

The conference began and we were either listening to the translator translating Arabic or directly to the speaker who spoke English. The conference was about investment opportunities between the Gulf states and Africa. It focused on the main difficulties, investment facilitation and the measures that can be undertaken by governments to reduce the risk investors’ face. In 2008 only 2 countries (Saudi Arabia and united Emirates) had relations with Africa. Some of the reasons given where the lack of infrastructure in most African Countries such as roads, railways, telecommunications and the lack of human & Institutional capacities. Conferences such as these are to educate us about the Gulf and Africa (as was done during the first and second sessions of the conferences when the presidents and heads of the countries came to speak). The conference was also meant to be a platform to find solutions to some of the problems mentioned earlier. It was a great networking opportunity for investors, financial institutions, governments and individuals inquiring about investments in both Africa and the Gulf.

What really had me intrigued at the conference was the reason why the Gulf and Africa had not established this relationship for so many years. I was amazed at the depth of cultural differences. Although it appeared as though we had a lot in common (respect in society, how we can eat our food with our hands) I also saw a lot that we didn’t have in common (the roles women play in society, religion especially for the predominantly Christian nations such as Ghana). I definitely did not hesitate to ask these questions during my interviews.

During lunch time, I thought “hey we are at intercontinental, maybe I can sit with the men and mingle a little” and there came the waiters, “the women are seated back there, sorry you cant eat here” so as I was going to get my bag I was told again and again that I had to leave to the women’s area to eat. I must admit I was slightly irritated. I mean I didn’t have to be told so many times, I was on my way to our secluded area. Again we were sectioned off with no waiters serving us. It was as though we were children set aside by the family to eat alone. However, it turned out to be fun after all because all the international women were summoned to this area and we all shared the same experience so we just went on and on about it. It gave me the opportunity to see the faces of my mysterious women that I couldn’t figure out. I saw familiarity, kindness, fun, intelligent and charismatic ladies. Turns out majority of the women are well educated with masters and doctorates. After lunch I interviewed so many people including my ladies whom I certainly wanted to know so much about. I’ll tell you some of the stuff I remember.

The Interview:

Christal: So can you tell me why you guys are covered up so much?

Saudi Lady 1: We choose to wear this. It’s part of our culture to cover up. No one forces us to wear this Abaya and to cover our face. We take it off as soon as there are no men around.

Christal: I noticed that women are segregated a lot. Even at the conference we sit away from the men, we have our own coffee tea room and had to eat lunch separately. Tell me about that.

Saudi Lady 2: I would not use the word segregation. It’s more about making the women feel comfortable and treated special that is why we have special treatment.

Christal: But I was almost not allowed to enter this building, are there places you can’t enter as a woman?

Saudi Lady 1 & 2: There’s no where we can’t enter as women.

Christal: What about working? Since I have been here I have not seen a single woman working either at hotel reception, or as a waitress or in any position that you would normally find women working in other parts of the world.

Saudi Lady 2: We are allowed to work. There are some women that work in 5 star hotels. It’s also that in work places women also have their sections where they can work.

Saudi Lady 1: I have a business myself that I started and a lot of women do the same.

Christal: I heard that you are not allowed to walk alone. That you either have to walk with your relative or husband?

Saudi Lady 2: I am here at the conference now, where is my father? No where! And where is my relative? I came on my own.

Christal: What about the fact that women can’t drive, does that bother you?

Saudi Lady 1: It is not our priority to drive, our priority is our education. Driving is the last thing on our minds.

Saudi Lady 2: We are princesses and should be driven around.

Christal : I heard you don’t have clubs or alcohol here so do you guys party?

Saudi Lady 1: We party alright. We just don’t do it in clubs. We have our houses, hotels etc where we can jam.

Christal: What about love? How do you find it?

Saudi Lady 1: It’s either arranged by the families, in which case they check to make sure that the couples don’t have diseases and can actually conceive a child or I can find my own husband to introduce to the family and they check their background.

Check out part 3 for the final section of a Ghanaian Saudi Princess.

2 comments:

  1. im a muslim as well and but i dont live in saudi arabia. But in Saudi the men like to be in control(well most of them). The muslim i know are allowed to drive if they please and i understand the princess part but if you want to drive you should have the write to. But another than that part i like what the Saudi Ladies had to say. MASHALLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mashallah sisters.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us with your thoughts on the matter...